Thursday, February 5, 2015

Can You Say Quetzaltenango?

 This boy is dirtier than the engine that's wrapped around him, in the chaotic outdoor bus terminal in Xela (pronounced SHAYla) which is easier to say than Quetzaltenango.
I needed to stay overnight in this city because I wouldn't have been able to cross the border before dark.
 These girls gave me directions from the terminal to the local bus stop. Each one suggested a different route but they agreed that it was two blocks away, instead of the half-mile that I remembered from last year.
 I decided to take a taxi to the hostel but the first driver gave a price of Q30 (quetzales). I said no,  because I always argue the first price, which prompted him to immediately lower it to Q25. My reply was Q20, but he said no so I walked on even though I realized the price was actually Q25. This is the driver I connected with.

A poor copy of the Parthenon was worthy of a quick picture,  just to make sure that I wasn't hallucinating.

No comments:

Post a Comment